Tuesday, November 20, 2007

a fork in the road

when i owned my scrapbook store i used to read blogs from wholesale companies to try and keep up on what was going on in their world. one of the blogs that i read was that of Melody Ross, the owner of Chatterbox. her blog didn't really do much for me but one day she posted something that hit me up side the head like "i could've had a V8!!". i ran across it last night and thought i would share it with you. it seems to hit home right now in some way.....



What Are You Afraid Of?


Afraid of Being the Adult.....This is a beautiful photo of a fork in the road...in case you can't tell......when you are the adult...you have to be the one to decide which road is to be taken........ugh. Remember when the biggest choice you had to make every day was whether you would wear your hair in a half-ponytail or in pigtails? Remember when you'd contemplate for HOURS, every day in November about what you were going to tell Santa when you sat on his lap next month? Remember when the only fork in the road was the one that went to your friend Susie's house or your friend Gina's house to play Barbies?


Sometimes I just totally hate being an adult. I hate that I have to always make these giant choices that mean giant things either way. I want to throw myself on the ground and throw a fit and say..."I don't want mac and cheese OR pb&j....I only want a cooooookieeee!!!! WAAAHHHHHH!!!" Of course, my mac and cheese and pb&j just happen to represent large decisions that could potentially make way bigger messes than even grape jelly on champaign colored carpet.


You know what I always tell my kids when they throw those kinds of fits? "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit!" Is that how life works sometimes? I am not sure yet........I guess I have to think about what I had to do before I said that to my kids...I had to give them what I thought was best for them, when they really believed that a diet of cookies was the best thing for them....I had to hand over the carrots and some diced up little pieces of chicken, pull the cookie away and say "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit...." So, I guess in the end, it really was what was best....

......and maybe that's just how life works? Always? Even when you are the adult.....sometimes God has to give you what HE knows is best.....and even with all of our kicking and screaming and silent treatments and starvation tactics....sometimes He just has to say...."you get what you get and you don't throw a fit...."


right?


......maybe I'm still in spiritual babyfood mode and I have to grow my teeth before I can start eating the solid food? I don't know.........maybe I would choke if I got what I really wanted.....maybe I just have to eat my vegetables and I'll finally get surprised with a cookie if I'm really good.


Who knows...........I'll be a good kid and eat my vegetables......

and......don't you wish someone would wrap you up in a blanket every day at 2pm and MAKE you take a nap????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I loved this and so needed to read this today, it is so true isnt it. Thanks for this post. Have a good day, I know I will after reading this. Pam

Mrs Anne said...

God is amazing. I am grateful for each learning lesson. :)