Sunday, August 05, 2007

it's all in a picture

Karen's class has had my brain runnin' all weekend. i keep thinking of the pictures that i have that are way from perfect and most of the time there is only one taken at that time. the 'snapshot' she was talking about.

so i started looking through this rubbermaid box...oh the horror!...of those 'snapshots' and came across so many pictures that i love so much. these are 4 of my all time favorites that i thought i would share with you.

this first picture is of me and my parents when i think i was about 3. i don't know exactly because my Mom's mom wasn't one who put dates on the back of photos. are you loving the plaid vest that i am sportin'? what about my Mom's hair? but what i do remember is that even at that age i hated that outfit and every other outfit she made me wear. especially the dresses! i remember the huge, prickly rollers that my Mom would put in her hair with a ton of bobby pins. on the day that she put them in she would put on a pretty floral, sheer scarf over her rollers and we would head out for the grocery store. i wasn't embarrased. i thought she looked great. and i got to play with the rollers when she took them out.

in this picture i love how my Daddy is looking at me. i was a Daddy's girl from day one from what i was told. to some extent i still am. i love that. it's pretty amazing what one picture means to me. i love that i can look at just that 'snapshot' and remember so much about life then.


here is another 'snapshot' of my Daddy keeping his eye on me. making sure i didn't get into trouble i am sure. i look at this picture and see that awful blue couch and can picture my Oma's house. how much time i spent there. when i look at that picture i remember loving it ever since i realized that it was me and my daddy in it. i pointed at it hanging on the wall constantly when i was over there. this picture is on my shelf today. i smile when i see it.













these 2 pictures are like gold to me. i loved my grandma's kitchen. it was huge and my grandma spent a lot of time in there. i made up my mind that when i got a house of my own i would have a kitchen just like that. she had a dishwasher that she rolled out and hooked up the hoses to. she had enough counter space for 3 kitchens. the one i am sitting on was low so she could bake. there was a stove that had a side warmer compartment that i thought was the coolest thing in the whole world. the stove was the joke of the family because other than baking my Grandma burned everything she made. it was so sad. on this day Grandma let me help her make her famous Gum Drop Coconut Cookies. they were fabulous and became a Christmas staple. we have a huge family and the long dinning room table was always half full of cookies and candy on Xmas eve but her cookies always got eaten first.

i was lucky enough to somehow get my hands on the original recipe that she wrote down. the paper is pretty fragil so i photo copied it for scrapbook use but i adore it. her handwriting has always been shaky and i love that. i remember at Christmas she would put gifts under the tree on Christmas morning that were supposed to be from Santa. all of us kids would look at the tag to see who it was from and just by looking at the word "Santa" on the tag and seeing that shaky writing we knew it was from her. this picture and this recipe flood my mind with all the Christmas rituals we had every Christmas Eve.

as a scrapbooker i guess i need to write them down.

peace out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

loved this blog, I think I had the same vest but mine was red. Miss you lots. Glad to see you are taking classes, I need to go next time with you.. Talk to you soon. Pam

Missy said...

When the check did you get a blog?